The Nakamura U.S. Courthouse was the west's first Federal building designed specifically for U.S. courts. The neo-gothic structure, originally opened in 1940, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. It houses the Federal Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit. Hermanson Company was Design-Build mechanical contractor for the complete renovation of the structure to meet LEED Silver requirements. The project included complete seismic upgrades to current standards, all new building sytems (HVAC, Plumbing, Fire Protection, etc.), historic rehabilitation of five courtrooms, a law library and judges' chambers, and tenant improvements for the lower three floors for Federal agencies. A new 15,000 s.f. security entrance pavilion is located underground in the front of the original structure. The new pavilion houses secure access and parking for judges and staff, a secure mail facility, and new security entrance/screening areas for the public. In addition to complete mechanical construction, Hermanson was also responsible for custom-made stainless steel features, including the lobby display case honoring William Kenzo Nakamura, a Seattleite posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for heroism in World War II.